Saturday, October 30, 2010
Posted by the jilted ballerina at Saturday, October 30, 2010
Do you remember a few posts back I mentioned a BIG project that I was working on? Well, I'm halfway finished! I am dying to show you guys pix but have to wait until the project has been delivered to the recipients.... Lordy I'm not a patient woman.
In the meantime, I am redoing my laundry closet. That's right it's not even a room... but I thought that since the space is so small it would give me the opportunity to try something fun. It's a good thing it is a small closet because I've painted it twice, already. The first color was hideously garish.
I'm getting ahead of myself, let me give you a little background. My dryer is driving me bonkers... it squeaks so loud you can hear it across two time zones. I figured what a great time to get a set of those fancy front loading machines. Insert weekend of shopping and purchase of a beautiful set of RED front loading machines! They were back ordered, so I thought what a perfect opportunity to take out that ugly wire shelf and repaint.
My original thought was to paint the walls black with large white polka dots - red washer and dryer.... can you picture it? Then I realized we would have to take the bi-fold doors down and wouldn't be able to be close off the menagerie... not to mention, the concept was giving me early 90's flashbacks.
Since the doors have to come off, I needed the colors to coordinate to the rooms the closet is kinda open to. I usually try to stay pretty neutral with my decor's background (espresso and creamy white) and then add easily-changed pops of color like pillows or drapes. Right now I'm in a blue and persimmon-y red phase.
So I thought well since I'm already committed to the red washer and dryer, why not paint a shade of blue and add some sort of white polka dot? (yes I love my circles) Which led me to the idea of maybe vinyl wall decals to avoid having to hand paint the spots (been there done that.) Once I started looking at my spotted options I began to lean more towards an Ikea-ish look. The polka dot idea got tossed as it started to seem a little too juvenile for this application.
Here is the progress I've made so far while I'm literally watching paint dry....
I forgot to take a before pic but this is EXACTLY what my closet looked like
Began by removing ugly wire shelf, patching holes, taping off edges, and removing bi-fold doors
Hopefully you will not have to paint your laundry closet more than once
When the paint dries... I will add these lovely BLOOM decals from Byrdie Graphics in white
Stay tuned for pix of the walls "in bloom."