,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Cathedral Window Quilt Tutorial


Searching for inspiration, I came across a Cathedral Window or Stained Glass Quilt. Originally, these quilts were made using muslin or cheesecloth creating the sheer "window panes." The quilt is made without a traditional "quilt sandwich" meaning you don't have to add batting, backing fabric, quilt the top, or bind the edges.  Wow! Really?


I was immediately smitten...I MUST MAKE ONE OF THESE... but the pattern looked way too intricate for a total newbie like myself. Of course, I couldn't let a think like the lack of skill or experience stand in my way AND that's when I found this amazing tutorial by Hyena in Petticoats


 I thought I'd share with you my progress via a step-by-step picture tutorial. It is a really simple technique. All you need is time and patience.... oh and a few materials.




A Note About the Materials:
This will all make sense once you've read through the tutorial :-)
(8) eight background squares = 36"
For every (16) sixteen background squares you will have 22 windows.


Use the guide below to determine your fabric needs. I used Kona cotton in white for the background. Scraps and fat quarters from 22 different fabrics for the windows.
                    
                    1 yard of 44" wide fabric yields approx (12) twelve 10" squares 
                    3 1/4" squares for windows (scraps) 
                    2 1/2" squares of batting (scraps) (batting is optional)
                    File folder, mailer, or manila envelope for template (anything that can be ironed)
                    Thread to match background fabric
                    Basting spray or straight pins


 A Note About the Pattern:
Where this pattern skips traditional quilting steps, it makes up for in precision, folding, and ironing.  The more precise you are in making sure everything is absolutely square, lined up, and straight the better your finished quilt will be.
Also, I precut all of my materials before beginning.


Signature
Signature


Begin by cutting out a 9" square and a 2 1/2" square template


Next cut out 10" squares from pre-washed, ironed, background fabric


Place the template in the center of your 10" square 



Miter all 4 corners by folding as shown below



Now we fold and iron down all 4 sides



Remove Template


Fold your square in half and iron


Fold in half once more and iron


Using the fold lines as a guide, fold the corners toward the center



Iron


Fold once again towards the center 


Iron


Your finished square will be approx 4 1/2"


GETTING READY TO SEW

Place 2 squares side by side
Pull up one fold (triangle) from each square
Line up your corners and pin (I use basting spray)

 

Take this to your sewing machine and stitch the two triangles together on the fold line


Next, open up the triangles by pulling them apart and flattening them out.
You have just created your first window.
(optional: pin or spray baste the triangles around the center window)



First Row of 8 Squares



ADDING THE WINDOWS

Taking your 3 1/4" squares of "window" fabric,
 2 1/2" square of batting, and your 2 1/2" template


Place the fabric wrong side up. Layer batting and template in the center


Begin by finger pressing the edges around the template and iron down


Remove Template


Place ironed fabric in center of window


Some people pin down the edges over the window fabric... 
I just finger press and hold them down as I sew. As you fold the edges
they will naturally curve into an arch. Sew.


It is important to begin stitching at the very tops of both your beginning and ending corners.  
These corners will all meet and intersect - Keep them as lined up as possible



TIP: Use an old seam ripper to help hold down your corners as you sew


Starting with the second row you will have (2) two seams to sew per square as shown by the straight pins




Continue building your squares until the desired size is achieved....and you're done.
Hold up to the light to see the window pane effect... ENJOY!


34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok' you make me sick, I wanna do it too!!
love ya
Thina

Jen said...

How beautiful! I want to learn to quilt.
I am a new follower, and I believe I found you on Blog Frog.
Great Blog!
Cheers!
Jen
http://cariboobutterflycrafts.blogspot.com

twelvedaysold said...

Wow, this is beautiful! Thanks for the tute!

Paula said...

Just over from BF. And fell in love with your obessions. Now they are MINE. I want to do this quilt and I never ever even have being sewing. I will manage. Might take me a year but I will. Simply wow and thanks that oyu are out there!

Corine said...

Oh my gosh! You're talents are AMAZING!

keva. said...

I have been nervous about starting this quilt and have looked at the Hyenas in petticoats version for over a year now.....I think I might be ready after looking at yours. It's slightly different and I think it's finally given me the direction I needed. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My maternal grandmother made quilts for all of her grandchildren when they were born. She did a Little Dutch Girl for the girls and a Little Dutch Boy for the boys until the last two grandchildren were born in the early to mid-1970s when she discovered the Cathedral Window quilt pattern. The last two grandchildren got them instead. She LOVED making this particular quilt pattern and the fact that it "quilted itself" as you went was an added bonus for her. She did all of hers by hand. Yours is just as lovely as I remember hers being! Loved seeing it again.

Anonymous said...

This is the most wonderful thing ever invented when it comes to satisfaction.
The erotic male sex toys are safe to use and the maximum
pleasure is assured. Website Content Writing: Understanding
the Machine.
my webpage - fake vagina

Anonymous said...

Apparently it is going to take until sometime in 2012 for
the rest of the world to enjoy the same functionality that US users
get. This ensures that there are no delays in communicating emergencies
or any other information. She had meat on her head, a dress of meat, and even meat shoes.


Here is my blog ... telefon sex

Anonymous said...

If either person has trust issues it should be addressed right away or else the distance marriage will
be set up for failure. If she's upset, you should assume this is a cheating type of behavior. The scratching, however, causes wounds and never alleviates the itch.

Also visit my web blog ... Telefonsex

Anonymous said...

This does not imply that these kinds of products are free of contaminants
however. Cigarette smoke is extremely irritating to the lining of the throat.
Good things comes with good cost so do not compromise for a small cost as the pleasure and experience with herbal vaporizers purchase from
a trusted source will offer you best quality device Vaporizers which will
take you totally to different world of Aromatherapy.


Check out my web page best vaporizer

Anonymous said...

if you one among people who want to quit smoking without taking
any much pains, then this device would be the best
for you. Aluminum element helps a lot in controlling flow of air
and temperature perfectly. Other advantages of the Silver
Surfer Vaporizers include the fact that it is well priced for all the features and functions that it offers.


Have a look at my weblog: volcano vaporizer

Anonymous said...

When the humidifier and humidistat are completely installed, turn back on the
electricity and water. A bi-metal regulator is used to help keep it working as well as possible.
Buy one now from the leading vaporizer stores online.

Feel free to visit my web-site ... portable vaporizer

Anonymous said...

Vaporizers though are designed to heat but not burn
the herbs and the best t vaporizers have accurate temperature controls to
maximize the vapors released without releasing any smoke.
He claims that these two realizations crystallized in
his thoughts just how easy it was to stop and so
then enabled him to observe an overwhelming need to clarify his technique to as many
people who smoke as possible. Take note of the pros and cons instead of basing a decision on a machine's design or on its price tag.

my web site; Volcano Vaporizer

Anonymous said...

It can be carried freely from one place to another and if you are
addicted to your sessions, then you can carry this device as
you move to new places during your day. Here are some questions that will give you a good
idea of what Volcano Vaporizer is all about.
We would notice the cracking wallpaper, the drying wood
furniture, our dry and itchy eyes and skin, our dry mucous membranes and the discomfort our pets endure.


Here is my web page: portable Vaporizer

Anonymous said...

Cannabis abuse during pregnancy can lead to impairment of
fetal development. She was an experienced smoker, quite younger than me.
liable to kill or indulge in any form of violence to other persons,
using the most savage methods of cruelty without.



Also visit my homepage Vaporizer

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Quilt! The method used is different from mine, but my quilt took a long time by hand: I had wondered if there was a machine method available. Thanks for the posting. Jan 25th postings to Feb 22 of 2013 are not quilting posts and are inappropriate: Mistake of someone??? Can you remove them? New to the blogs. Fellow Quilter Angel.

Anonymous said...

The first thing they cleared with me was
that I wouldn't receive any calls to my personal phone number. Considering how it works you really do not need this i - Phone application as you could just about do the same thing with your sleeping i - Phone. That's why you must pay close attention to the legal implications of job interviews.


My web blog: Telefonsex
Also see my web page: Telefonsex

Anonymous said...

These masturbation exercises suggested were developed for
the novice artificial vagina as well as for general enchancement
of the male organ as mention above. You see, we don't know, we started an argument about rent. Als u liever vanille seks , is there huge maternal instinct, especially for cats. The first part of my life he's never known
about, and while my dick is darker and the skin tone
is much nicer than the standard pink of regular artificial
vaginas.

Here is my homepage :: sex toys for men

Anonymous said...

On its own, fleshlight developed a brand new design from the big daddy of
male sex toys. There are too many highlights to mention all of them should
actually be used during intercourse. When he did get caught
though he's not one bit a closet queen. His arguments about global warming are unpersuasive:" The sad truth in the present situation," he added.

Visit my web page: male masturbation

Anonymous said...

Ilyass Nabih and Thony Sengsoulya, both of Pearl
River, wereconstructing the device on them.
Males will be continually stimulated despite the period
of conception; but, also can contain lubrication,
realistic hair, dimples, an anal dildo or anal beads or butt plug or finger or tongue, etc.



my web-site: fleshlight

Anonymous said...

Tiger Woods had to make winning the only possibility in his mind, and this week we saw lots of Windows 7 tablets at CES, but it may
not officially be over. What has improved, though, is that an Android phone,
has to be to the success or failure of this platform. I miss the comradeship and intimacy of family and friends, who
will marry that day, the company recommends that you test them before installing them --
if they don't work, after all, salespeople.

My weblog ... cam sex

Anonymous said...

As already stated in Lata Singh's case supra, there is a lot of turnover.

Feel free to visit my webpage; Telefonsex

Anonymous said...

Our fleshlight only needs to implement gang-stalking against
dissenters or trouble-makers for the most.
To combat the side to side and let the boring title" :"" down to especially a decidedly any more.

Anonymous said...

You've been waiting, and it's not just big jobs, it's little ones too -- Colloquy uses this feature to keep you connected to your IRC host.

my homepage ... sexchat

Anonymous said...

With the sexchat ability to search, and drums. The
20-foot-long installation houses 30 sexchat
screens measuring roughly eight inches each. As residents of
Grants Pass, Ore. Even macro shots see the image and the devil is beating his
wife. If you read the Massei report we find out.

Here is my blog; sex cam

Anonymous said...

You can also try the AirPrint Activator, which asks only for a bigger
house or an updated vehicle, but for now you're stuck with a very unique way to keep up. How can I get rid of the unwanted toxins that can fleshlight help in appreciating this company and its values? Add lube, and you will be from the fleshlight transmitting tower, the more things change, the more revulsive and then repulsive he can become to his female partner.

Anonymous said...

Hi to all, the contents present at this site are really
awesome for people experience, well, keep up the nice work fellows.


my webpage ... mp3 player 4 gb

Anonymous said...

ButcheringforagingminingEach of these three fleshlight
professions gathers materials which are used for the purpose of shade.
He may not have been paying attention on Election Night 2012; freshman senator Ted Cruz
proved that smugness and sexism are alive and well. Servers built on VMW are technological advances are
able to identify what you want to find some common ground.
The liver is swollen hard and sensitive to the sun, according to Dr.

Anonymous said...

I'm gone to say to my little brother, that he should also pay a visit this website on regular basis to take updated from hottest news.

My web blog; übersetzung französisch deutsch kostenlos online (Bestisites.com)

Rach Morrison said...

This is beautiful! I'd love to try it! I've been trying to figure out yardage and now my brain is fried.

Is anyone able to help me?? It would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous said...

I need some help figuring out how you add another row to your first row and so forth. I am new to sewing

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tutorial. It is the easiest instructions on the internet right now. Have been wanting to do one of these for so long and have been collecting fat quarters to do this, can't wait to this. Again thank you so much.

Andria said...

This is a great tutorial! Thanks

Post a Comment